Friday, September 4, 2009

day 5... FRIDAY!!!

Long week. Some of my poor first graders by 1:30 start crying "can't we go home yet? is it time yet? can we go home?" ... long days... long first week... for kids and for teachers...
It's a mistake to wear my clogs, I know - but they're black and they went good with what I'm wearing today. I've had these clogs for like 10 years now - made of wood - and they used to be the most comfortable shoes ever. Now my feet hurt after clomping on wood all day. Is it age? Or is it just that my school is the size of a flippin shopping mall?

Seriously: to go to gym or outside for recess is like walking from Macy's to JC Penney's. There's no escalator, though, but there is two flights of stairs. And the school rule is for the children to walk with their hands behind their back, no voices.

Imagine little six year olds: They've been walking for less than five years, and now they have to do so with their hands behind their backs. It's not my rule. But it's pretty ridiculous. And keeping them silent on a ten minute walk to or from recess? Coming back in is worse, much worse. They're all sweaty and thirsty and tired, and now they have to walk silently, hands behind their back, ten minutes and up two flights of stairs to get back to class.

ugh.

But we made it through the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment