Wednesday, September 16, 2009

open house

Long endless day. At school from 715a to 730p for open house. But you know, it was a pretty good day. Lots of work - maps and math and checkerboard (complex multiplication up to the billions) ... Montessori is some amazing stuff... and once started, the children really do learn on their own by exploring... at least the ones who aren't screaming and running out of the room.
But didn't have that so much today... In fact the day was so long I can hardly remember it already.

Open house was good. More parents showed up than expected; many of my first graders (new kids) parents showed up - a lot of support and genuine respect and care. It was pretty great.

So I ask myself if I'm just cynical? ... mmm yeah I don't think so. I wish it were that simple.

It's hard. My husband just asked about my facebook page. I strolled him through it, showing him my profile and stuff, and the post where I wrote (Colleen Lowe)... wants to be a housewife. Fuck work. and he said, "really?" Yes, really. I want to keep the house clean and walk the dog and make good food and have a baby. "I would love that," he said, "But I don't think I can take on your student loan."

Oh yeah, that. When exactly does that MFA in writing come in handy, anyway?

So I work this insane job, and there I am at open house, "how is (insert name) doing? (said by parent)" "how's he doing in math?" "Is she reading better this year?" "Hows his behavior?" "He says he hates school. Why do you think that is?"

I have no freaking idea, I want to say. (Which clues me in that maybe I want to be a housewife more than I say in jest?) We're in our third week, I just learned all the names and you want to know how he's doing in math? Are you kidding? (and do I look like I care? Please, really, I hope that I do... I'm trying...)

"Well, I started with 26 kids this year and have some Special education students. We're really just starting to gel as a community, you know, it takes the first six weeks really to get routines going."

"My kid keeps asking me to be in a different class. He says he hates this class and he wants to stay home every day. Is that true? Should I switch him to another class?"

I'm tired. I've been in the building for 11 hours now.

"Mmm. Well, I think it's possible that he would be saying that no matter what class he's in. He really doesn't seem to like authority or following directions."

Oh, woops. Did I just smack you in the head? I'm sorry. It's been a long day.
But seriously.
You asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment