Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I'm not happy.
E, of course, spent the day at the principal's, again. He ran from my class with his backpack, down the stairs, down the hall, where I followed him, yelling to a teacher down the hall to please grab him, which she did. We dragged him to the principals office, where he said to her "I hate fuckin school."
"oh, naughty words," she said.
"Shut up," he told her.
I don't need to explain anything to my asst. principal at this point. I leave and go back to my class.

I'm too exhausted to write. I'm too burnt, spent, fried and crispy after one week.

I didn't know what to do after school. I could barely stand to be in my classroom. Instead I went to the teacher's lounge and on the computer there, composed an e mail addressed to the two asst. principals, the principal, two counselors, and the montessori mentor. Here is that letter:

Hello everyone,
I'm starting the year with 26 children in my class, 5 of whom are afore known "heavy hitters," shall we say. ER has been in Ms. Ross' room the last three days for behavior issues that have tipped the scales, AL has run from the playground into the parking lot and although contained, it seems, lately, I am aware of the ticking bomb energy and the minor explosions I am so far able to deal with. Today he repeatedly slammed a rope from seasons work on the table making sharp thwacks, despite my asking him to stop. I have to pick my battles. When came an opportunity to take the rope from him, I did, but not without my nerves clanging that someone was going to get hurt. MJ, another of the HH clan aka "heavy hitters" whom I inherited from another class, has already left my class several times with a backpack on her back, threatening to walk out the front door. She has also visited with Ms. Ross due to total non-cooperation in science class. She screams and squeals repeatedly on line, and does not necessarily follow instructions in the classroom. SA, who is fortunately with Ms.H the SPED teacher for part of the time, has already begun familiar behaviors, clawing her face, insisting "nobody likes me!", and picking cat fights with other girls and threatening her friends with promises of betrayal. SO is another child who I've inherited from another class, who has been on behavior survellience and has a challenging time focusing as well. And then I have a new child, MA, who has been in the states for exactly 2 weeks, does not speak a word of English, is a SPED student and exhibits some behaviors such as an ADD child would. My para spends most of her time chasing him around, as at least she speaks his language. Last year I was more able to help these children of HH status because the numbers in my room allowed me the little extra time to spend giving personal attention. Perhaps as the new year settles and the new children settle as well, time will again become available. We shall see.
I consider myself to be a pretty adept teacher, and though my head is above water at the moment, I fear that I will begin drowning if I do not reach out for some help with my situation. I know that every class in this building has it's own particular challenges, and I like to think that I can not only survive but excel on my own. However, at the moment I have not much else but exhaustion and aprehension. With all due respect and regard, Colleen Lowe

I don't know what else to do.

1 comment:

  1. Colleen, I've been reading your blog, and all I can say is I hope it gets better, one way or another! It seems way too stressful. Good moments, yes; but too many bad ones. Can it improve? Your old pal, Jen L. (formerly G.)

    ReplyDelete